Gimme A Dream endorses the Giddy Up Pony Camp
Gimme A Dream is a Magdalen Islands site and a Magdalen Islands site!
Gimme A Dream has the Gimme A Dream's Unique Craft And Jewelry Site


Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Storm # 2 for 2008

Well we are in the midst of the second storm of the year. I was thinking of taking pictures today but I forgot so I poked my head out of the greenhouse door and snapped a couple of shots of the ice cycles hanging from the eves, this evening. I near brained myself on the ice hanging in front of the door. The horses couldn't get out until I knocked the ice cycles away, this afternoon.

This morning when I went out to the hay stack I thought it was bad. This evening I went out and foundered in the snow that was well above my waist. It is a dry powder type of snow so I stepped right through to the ground below it. The first bale I put on the ground just over the fence. The second bale I brought into the green house so that I wouldn't have to go outside in that mess again tonight.

This storm is impressive.

We have more snow on the ground now than we had for the past ten years all together. It is reminiscent of the year 1982, when a storm hit just after New Years and didn't stop for weeks. The power went out in 80 km winds with gusts to 110km. It took ten days to get the power back on. That was day that Jan and Denis came for a visit with their son Karl, from Saskatchewan. They brought the storm with them I guess.

Actually I think they arrived in between squalls because I drove mum's Ford Grenada to Audrey's (my sister) house and got caught in a traffic jam in Grand Entry. I remember it clearly because there were snow banks on either side of the road and there was only one lane of passage. Of course after being shut in for so long (at least a week) because of the storm, everyone got in their vehicles to go see the damage the storm caused.

Denis and Erica's house on Grand Entry Point burned to the ground at the start of all the storms, so a lot of vehicles were passing in both directions and got jammed up at the Esso service station and Charlie Poirier's house, there on the turn. By the time I got to the turn, I rolled down my window and asked the traffic director, "Qu'est-que ce pass, ici?" only to find an English man from Saskatchewan, directing traffic, on the Magdalen Islands, with drivers who only spoke French. It struck me so funny and I laughed so hard that he had to get in and drive the car around a snowbank when my brother-in-law directed him. Who would have ever thunk it?

Oh dear, I rambled....

Getting back to the storm of 1982. The islands had been declared in a state of emergency. A real disaster area! Apparently someone ran out of sliced bread. No kidding!!!

The MRC (regional government) and Hydro Quebec had large loaders flown in from Gaspe ( I know this as a fact because my landlord in Gaspe (I was enrolled at college but late arriving because of the storms) had been contracted to send four of his four wheel drive loaders to the islands to help clean up the mess. Hydro Quebec also had four large diesel generators flown in because the power drain was too much for their generators on the islands.

2 comments:

Keith's Ramblings said...

Sitting here looking out on a grey day with a fine mist of drizzle blowing in the breeze, it's so difficult to imagine what it's like to be totally surrounded by ice and snow.I think I need a brandy!

Magdalen Islands said...

One brandy coming right up! Would you like it shipped airmail or sent by dogsled. Personally, I think the dogsled is quicker that Post Canada.