Gimme A Dream endorses the Giddy Up Pony Camp
Gimme A Dream is a Magdalen Islands site and a Magdalen Islands site!
Gimme A Dream has the Gimme A Dream's Unique Craft And Jewelry Site


Sunday, January 27, 2008

Wings Of Desire (Pink Wings)

It is the hearts and the desires of all the world to find a cure for cancer. Slowly, ever so slowly, mankind is making progress. Through the generous donations and volunteer work, cancer is being slowly pushed back, hopefully into oblivion within my time.

The Wings of Desire were a part of the Provincial Old Home Week Equestrian Competitions of Prince Edward Island. The competition, “Dare To Wear Pink” category, is run on several different levels. All the proceeds, entry costs for both the competitor and spectator go to breast cancer research.

The western novice category last summer was won by my niece. She worked hard to find pink items to use and she wasn’t shy about wearing them either. Her horse, Casper’s Haunting You, is a grey Newfoundland pony and is not a stranger to th show ring, but my niece decided to enter him in the western pleasure, whereas he had always been shown in the English pleasure category. These are some pictures from the competition.

My mother, my niece’s grandmother, succumb to breast cancer turned lung cancer, on October 30th, 1982. This “Dare To Wear Pink” is for her memory. My dad died with liver cancer, on January 6th, 1991. Both were young people.





9 comments:

Head Cookie said...

wonderful I love it Gimme.

Marja said...

Oh your niece just looks gorgeous. I love the wings and the pink tail of course. What a magnificent cause. Sorry for your family. My mum also had bbreastcacer. She is doing well now

Marja said...

Oh your niece just looks gorgeous. I love the wings and the pink tail of course. What a magnificent cause. Sorry for your family. My mum also had bbreastcacer. She is doing well now

little wing writer said...

it is truly amazing the healing properties of the color PINK.. thank you for the awesome post...

gautami tripathy said...

WE should all come together for such causes. Thanks for this post. You opened my eyes..

Sandwich said...

Hi Dream!!, thanks for all your effort so far, and thanks for offering to be a part of and running our new Canadian site www.ca.winterrosetrust.com and my thank's to all who posted these encouraging posts on this blog and flying the flag!

Phil Planet

Tumblewords: said...

Wonderful post and beautiful photo! My mother died of cancer and my daughter is in her 8th year of remission after breast cancer. Pink is a healing color, isn't it? Wishing us all a great amount of good news!

anthonynorth said...

A subject close to my heart. I lost my mother to cancer whilst still a child.

Keith's Ramblings said...

A picture full of hope. A really thought provoking piece.